Avalakki Sweet Pongal Recipe
Avalakki sihi pongal or poha sweet pongal is a very easy to prepare and super-yummy sweet. The recipe is almost similar to the regular sweet pongal recipe and is perfect for unexpected guests as it only takes 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1 cup thick rice flakes (poha/avalakki)
- 1/4 cup moong dal/hesaru bele
- 1/4 cup sweet10
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 6 to 8 cashews broken into pieces
- 15 raisins
- 2 cardamoms (powder it and keep it ready)
Instructions to make Avalakki Sweet Pongal
- Wash the moong dal and pressure cook the dal in medium flame until they are soft (2 to 3 whistles).
- Heat a pan with a tbsp of ghee and roast the cashews until brown. Then fry the raisins until it puffs up, keep aside.
- Add jaggery and sweet10 to the same pan with 1/2 cup of water. Heat it for a few minutes till the jiggery completely dissolves.
- Now filter the sweet syrup to remove impurities and put it back in the pan.
- Thoroughly rinse the rice flakes with water and drain it off.
- Include the already cooked moong dal and rice flakes to the sweet syrup and continue cooking.
- The dal and the rice flakes will absorb the syrup and get thick. Now add one more cup of water, grated coconut, ghee, roasted cashews & raisins and the powdered cardamom.
- Mix well and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Delicious avalakki sweet pongal is ready to serve.