Bele Obbattu Recipe
Bele Obbattu or Bele Holige is a delicious sweet made on Ugadi festival and other special occasions with bele meaning dal in Kannada language. It is prepared using toor dal or chana dal and varies from region to region.
Below Bele Obbattu / Bele Holige Recipe made using dal and it comes together in an hour.
Ingredients for the outer cover
- 1/2 cup maida or all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cooking or coconut oil
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt as per your taste
- Water as required (to prepare soft dough)
Ingredients for the stuffing
- 1/2 cup toor dal or chana dal
- 1 cup water (to pressure cook the dal)
- 1/4 cup Swee10
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 cardamom
Making the dough
- Take 1/2 cup of maida or all purpose flour in an empty bowl.
- Add in salt and a pinch of turmeric powder
- Add water and knead lightly (add water as required)
- Add 3 tbsp of oil and continue to knead until the dough becomes pliable
- Cover the dough and keep aside. Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
Making the stuffing
- Rinse and take 1/2 cup of dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add a cup of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure settles down, open the cooker and check if the dal is cooked well and drain the excess water off.
- Add the cooked dal, 1/4 cup of Swee10, 2 tbsp of grated coconut and cardamom in a grinder jar and grind to a smooth consistency.
- Grind at intervals by adding more water until the paste is really smooth.
- Transfer the paste to a pan and switch on the stove. Start stirring the stuffing/paste under medium flame.
- Continue stirring until all the excess water is dried (not too dry, as it will get hard once it is cool).
- Switch off the stove and keep the stuffing mixture aside until the stuffing is warm.
- Make medium sized balls and keep the balls aside.
Rolling the Obbattu
- From the already made dough, pinch medium-sized ball.
- Gently flatten it with your fingers on a plastic sheet.
- Place the stuffing ball in the flattened dough.
- Bring together the edges and press them at the centre.
- Now flatten the centre and gently roll the stuffed ball.
- Place the stuffed ball on a rolling board and roll it into a thin large obbattu or holige (add flour as required while rolling).
- Heat a pan or tawa and place the rolled obbattu on the tawa.
- Roast till you see bubbles and then flip (ensure the tawa is on medium heat).
- Spread some oil or ghee if you want and flip again.
- Spread some oil or ghee on this side too.
- Roast until you see golden brown patches.
- Enjoy bele hobbattu with ghee!
LEAVE A REPLY